Breastmilk is best for babies for up to two years and beyond. So if for whatever reason, you find that you need to give your little one milk formula, be sure to purchase a product that will work as the best formula for breastfed babies. Sure, experts will tell you that there is no such thing as a human milk substitute; however, some formulations come close to mimicking the real thing.
As a parent, it’s important to know that baby formula isn’t something you can just choose at random. Because this will dictate how well your baby grows and develops, taking a look at the nitty gritty details will ensure you’ve got the best baby formula to support all the aspects of baby development.
Not sure which formula will give your baby the best chance at optimal growth? These options should give you an idea.
Top 10 Baby Formulas Ultimate Table
Things Parents Should Consider When Buying Baby Milk Formula
Just like your carefully curtailed diet, your baby’s milk intake should also be meticulously chosen. There are specific nutritional requirements your baby needs and these will help her achieve development that’s on par for her age. Failing to satisfy these dietary needs can result in stunted physical, mental, social, and emotional development.
Check out these considerations to make when choosing to help you secure the best baby formula for your tot.
- Nutritional Content. We can’t all be nutrition experts, but as parents, we need to make sure that our babies are getting the right stuff when they drink our chosen baby milk formula. The best infant formula should include a combination of these components:
- Protein. Protein is the main component that babies’ bodies use for muscle and bone development. Because your baby is growing much faster than an adult, giving more protein for pound of body weight is an important nutritional need to look out for.
Be warned, though – too much protein in your baby’s diet could trigger the beginning of obesity. As a general rule, a baby should have 10 grams of protein a day. Be sure to ask your doctor first before deciding on a value that’s best for your little one.
- Carbohydrates. This macronutrient is our main source of energy, giving us the ability to perform everyday activities without feeling tired and worn out. For babies, the same principle applies.
Experts suggest that babies should have at least 95 grams of carbohydrates every day; however, this can change depending on the size and specific nutritional needs of your baby. Asking your doctor for a professional opinion will help you pinpoint the right amount.
- Micronutrients. When it comes to baby formula, there are two main micronutrients that you should keep an open eye for. These are DHA or Omega-3 and ARA or Omega-6. In typical food, these micronutrients are found in fish oil and eggs. For babies, the only source is breast milk.
The reason why these micronutrients are so important is that they support healthy brain development. Proper, timely, and sufficient brain growth is a crucial part of baby health and helps guarantee that your little one won’t struggle when she’s older.
While all milk formulas advertise the inclusion of DHA and ARA, some have more of it than others. Read labels and compare specifics before settling on a choice.
- Baby’s Age. Milk formula for babies from 0 to 6 months has slightly different formulation specifics from milk intended for babies 6 to 12 months old. The same goes for kids that have reached the age of 2 and beyond.
As your little one’s body changes its needs, so too should you follow along by changing her milk to support what her system needs the most at her age. Be careful, though – sudden changes in milk formula can cause constipation, stomach pain, and irritation in babies.
Gradually replace your little one’s milk to prevent dietary problems.
Top 3 Best Baby Formula Reviews
Gerber is one of the leaders in infant and early childhood nutrition, boasting natural, non-GMO products that are developed for easy digestion by immature systems. Among their gentlest formulation is Gerber Good Start Gentle Non-GMO Powder Infant Formula which promises to give your baby sufficient nutrition without irritation.
Small, easy-to-digest comfort proteins are added into the mix to give your baby what she needs to grow without exhausting what her tiny tummy can do. This decreases the chances of stomach irritation and GI problems, especially for babies who are particularly sensitive to formula.
This formula mimics breastmilk and is often considered the best baby formula available, so despite the steep cost, it is patronized by countless parents across the globe.
Another top brand in the baby formula market is Enfamil. Their Reguline Infant Formula in ready-to-use bottles has been developed to help support healthy digestion, making it easy for babies to pass stool and absorb nutrients without overworking their tiny systems.
This particular baby formula comes in ready-to-consume bottles which are measured to equal the amount of a regular feeding. While this can be quite convenient for some parents, this also makes the product more prone to spoilage and contamination compared to powder formula.
Parents on a budget can get the best value for their money by sticking with Enfamil Infant Formula Milk-based Powder with Iron. This powder formulation is packed with all the right nutritional components and extra iron to guarantee a healthy baby. The formula boasts a Nuero Complete blend that targets all the areas of baby development to help your little one grow strong and healthy.
A single issue with the product is that the powder itself can be rather lumpy. This can require some extra preparation when making a bottle, and could call for mixing aside from shaking to ensure that all the particles are properly dissolved.