One of the most difficult things any parent could ever deal with is watching one of their kid’s struggle with illness. It doesn’t matter if it’s just a case of the common cold – just knowing that you’re kid isn’t feeling her best could keep you sleepless for countless nights.
So when those first signs of sickness start to creep in, you should be sure to have the right tools in your parenting arsenal to detect what’s happening with your child’s body. A staple essential that any parent should have is a kids’ thermometer.
Because your little one’s body is different from any adults’, using a thermometer specifically designed to pick up on your child’s temperature will help guarantee reliable readings. So, now the question is – what is the best thermometer for kids? Find out here.
Top 10 Thermometers for Kids Chart
What Parents Should Look for in a Kids’ Thermometer
If you’re one of the many parents who didn’t think it was important to buy a thermometer specific for kids, you might be wondering what you should even be looking for when you examine your options. The best thermometer for kids is one that will provide you accurate results and make the process of taking your children’s temperature easy and problem-free.
Still not sure what features will provide you that type of experience? Remember these specifics.
- Fast Readings. Even when they’re sick and under the weather, kids will still wiggle and play like nobody’s business. So you can just imagine that it can be a challenge to keep your child still while you take their temperature using a standard adult’s thermometer.
For that reason, you should always invest in a thermometer that will allow you to capture accurate readings without having to pin your kid down for too long. There are some thermometers that can take temperature readings in as little as a second. With that, you should consider the site of use.
- Site of Temperature Taking. Depending on the site where the thermometer takes the temperature, you can expect a longer reading capture and altered accuracy. When it comes to children’s thermometers, these are the most common:
- Forehead or Temples. Forehead and temporal thermometers are the fastest, requiring only quick contact with the reading site to complete the process; this is particularly ideal if you have an active toddler on your hands.
Accuracy varied from unit to unit, however, so be sure to invest in a high-quality model to avoid unwanted discrepancies. It also helps to make sure your child hasn’t been laying on the side to be tested before use for the most accurate temperature reading.
- Tympanic. The tympanic membrane is found inside the ear and is commonly used by doctors at pediatric clinics. They’re relatively more accurate than temporal thermometers, however placing the thermometer in the ear at the wrong angle could produce inconclusive results.
It’s important that parents study and perfect the process of inserting the thermometer into the ear to avoid improper readings: if you have an active child, tympanic thermometers can cause mild injury.
- Axillary, Oral, or Rectal. Axillary, oral, and rectal readings are considered the least accurate, but these thermometers are often the cheapest. They’re also more likely to give consistent results, so understanding how many degrees to add to your final result can give you a better understanding of your child’s current state.
Top 3 Best Thermometer for Kids Reviews
While it does cost a pretty hefty price, there’s a lot to love about the Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology. This premium, high-accuracy kids’ thermometer is often considered the best thermometer for kids, and for pretty good reasons.
Knowing that tympanic thermometers can give inaccurate results when positioned incorrectly, the Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer guides parents as they use the device and informs the user if the sensor has been positioned properly in the ear; this guarantees accurate and safe readings with each use.
For parents with sanitation concerns, the thermometer also comes with replaceable filters that can be easily detached and reattached for hygienic purposes; this helps parents ensure a safe and germ-free use for their kids, eliminating the chances of introducing contaminants into their kids’ ear canal.
Quick to work and BPA-free, this particular thermometer is highly recommended for parents with small babies and small children. Now, despite the cost, the Braun Thermoscan Ear Thermometer with ExacTemp Technology proves to be a top-notch choice that gives parents the highest value for each dollar spent.
Are you particularly careful with germs and illness-causing bacteria? The PREVE Non-Contact Infrared Forehead Thermometer could be right for you. This high-tech children’s thermometer requires zero contact with your child, taking temperature readings from a distance.
Another prime feature of this high-accuracy thermometer is its ability to record up to 32 different readings. For parents who want to monitor their children’s temperature over a span of time, this proves to be a very useful feature. Plus, the PREVE thermometer also makes it easy to detect fever temperatures by color coding readings with its large LCD screen.
If for whatever reason you find that you’d prefer to have two different temperature reading sites to test out, the Innovo Medical Forehead and Ear Thermometer allows parents to check both for forehead and ear temperatures; this makes it easy to get accurate readings in one go, without having to wait to retest the same area.
Some users have complained however that the thermometer can produce readings that are inaccurate by up to 2 degrees. Backing your results for the first few tries by using a standard thermometer at home will help ensure your unit is working fine.