Before you choose a toy for your 6 month old, there are a few things to think about before you make your purchase. Our useful guide below highlights the ten best toys and a few things you should consider before you choose them. This guide will help you to make a confident decision about your purchase and buy from among the best toys for 6 month olds.
Things to Consider for New Toys
- Machine Washable. If you’re interested in toys that are machine washable, then be sure to read the manufacturer’s info regarding the toy before your purchase. Also, think about the type of fabric used to make the toy. Is it flame-retardant?
- Materials/Safety. Think about the number of parts and pieces that make up the toy. Is it one solid piece or does it consist of many pieces? If it has many, will any of them fit into baby’s mouth and create a potentially dangerous situation? If you have a toy that plays music, think about the sound decibels that it emits. You want a volume that is safe for baby’s ears and something that isn’t annoying to you personally. Although baby might find the toy intriguing, that doesn’t necessarily mean that you will if it’s constantly playing!
You also want to make sure that the dyes, colors, materials, etc. that give color to the toy are non-toxic. Look for natural materials or toys that meet health and safety requirements (you want BPA-free toys).
- Age Range. Ideally you want something that will keep baby occupied for more than one month. Look for a toy with a wide age range, so that you’ll be able to use it for longer. Since having a baby can be expensive, this will help keep costs down, so that you aren’t forced to constantly buy new toys and therefore spend more money.
- Batteries. Don’t forget to check and see if it is battery operated. If so, check the size of batteries that you’ll need to run the toy and the amount of hours you will be able to use the toy with one set of batteries.
- Engaging. Toys that promote physical activity, that teach, that are multi-sensory, encourage creativity or all of the above are a great investment for your baby’s future.
Best Toys for 6 Month Old Table
Top 5 Toys for 6 Month Old Babies Reviews
We chose the Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes Musical Toy as the best toy for a 6 month old for a variety of reasons.
The music has two volumes, which is great so that you can turn it down in public places and turn it up at home. It’s also soothing: to both you and baby! Not one of those toys that you buy and then after ten minutes you are already regretting the decision because of the loud, obnoxious sounds it makes. The classical music it plays engages baby for long periods of time so that you’ll have your hands free to get other tasks done.
It’s also got bright, stimulating colors and a cute caterpillar handle so that you can carry it around easily. Easy to clean surface and seven songs total. Be sure to get two AA batteries
For such a great price and quality product, you really can’t go wrong with this toy.
This eight-piece toy is great if you want something simple, environmentally friendly and effective. It is safe for baby – no dyes or toxic external coatings, there are no sharp edges and it’s not heavy like some other toys for babies of the same age. Whether your baby is 6 months old or 3 years old, a stacking toy is always a long lasting one.
The company that makes them uses recycled products, and they ensure that all of their products are BPA and PVC free. What were they before turning into an awesome baby toy? 100% post-consumer milk jugs. You can wash them easily and they are great for stimulating baby and getting them physically active. This is a must-have toy for all parents, grandparents, and everyone in between!
We also like the VTech Busy Learners Activity Cube, where babies are given the opportunity to learn and study a wide variety of subjects. Colors, shapes, animal sounds, letters; twist, turn, push buttons and roll it around. This highly stimulating toy will definitely keep the little ones engaged. It is also great from age six months up to three years, so it should last you a while.
It’s BPA-free and only requires two AAA batteries (which are included when you order it).
If you’re looking for a toy that encourages and maximizes baby’s motor skills, we recommend this one.
A lot of parents like to teach their kids about money at an early age, so the Fisher-Price Learning Piggy Bank is a great pick for anyone who wants a toy that achieves this…and so much more!
It comes with ten color coins, which easily drop into the slot on the top of the piggy bank. The toy not only introduces the concept of money, but also counting, colors, sizes and animals.
The coins come in two different sizes. The larger size show animal moms and the smaller size shows the corresponding animal baby. When you push on the piggy bank’s snout, it will also play sing-along songs. A great all-in-one toy!
Remember that you can also purchase more coins if you lose the original ones, or you can just purchase more in order to help baby to count higher.
Laptops and computers have become an important instrument for many in today’s world, so learning about them at a (very) young age will be all the more helpful when baby is bigger!
The VTech Baby’s Learning Laptop comes in two color combinations (one is multi-colored and the other is pink).
For parents who are disappointed by toys that have only a few songs, this toy offers a large mix. You get 90 sing-along songs, music, sounds and phrases, which will keep baby highly engaged.
It has a mouse on the right hand side that you can move in eight directions that correspond to the light patterns on the screen.
The only thing to be careful of is that baby doesn’t close the laptop on their little fingers.
Always think about your baby’s safety first before you purchase a toy. From there, remember to get something that is engaging, that promotes motor skills, is colorful and that you can use for more than just a few months. If you happen to get a musical toy, make sure that you enjoy the tunes, too!