Finding age-appropriate toys for your growing baby is not always a simple task.
You walk into the toy isle at the store and you feel overwhelmed with choices!
In order to help you a bit, we highlight the best toys for 9-month-old babies that will help teach and encourage their developing skills.
Some babies enjoy playing more with the box that a toy came in rather than the toy itself, but with our suggestions below, you’re sure to find one that they’ll love!
Things to Think About
Before you select a toy, consider the following.
- Age Appropriate? Toy manufacturers always include an age recommendation on their toys, but that doesn’t mean that a toy designed for a three month old won’t be interesting to a nine month old!
Each baby develops at a different rate, so if you have noticed that they enjoy a certain toy, look for a similar one with an upgrade. For example, if your baby likes stacking things and has been stacking or playing with blocks on the living room floor, upgrade to a new stacking toy that they can take into the bathtub. Look for something that introduces new information to baby (maybe some numbers, more colors, a strainer, etc.) that is similar to a toy that you’ve already had success with.
As a parent, it’s frustrating to spend money on toys when you don’t seem to have much success with them. Instead of spending money, spend some time watching your baby to see what he or she prefers before you purchase.
You’ll save yourself some money!
Top 10 Toys for 9 Month Old Chart
Types of Toys
You’ll find that the following are the best toys for 9 month old babies, give or take a few months, are:
- Push Toys. If your baby has gotten the hang of walking by now, then a push toy will help them to keep their balance and they push it from one adventure to the next. If you haven’t already got something that they can push, then be sure to get one! It will help baby greatly as they perfect their walking techniques.
- Technology Toys. Toy phones, toy computers or toy electronics are a great way for baby to push buttons and learn the principals of modern technology. A safe introduction into the modern world!
- Blocks and Stacking Toys. A multi-functional stacking toy (such as number five on our list) is great for baby. Stacking, dumping, pouring and knock over. These are the things that stimulate baby and keep them entertained!
- Sorting and Shape Toys. Your baby may already have toys that help them to understand shapes and their corresponding holes, but as they grow, they’ll need more sophisticated versions that offer them new information. The activity cube above (number four on our list) is a great idea for babies 9 months and up!
Top 3 Best Toys for 9-Month-Olds Reviews
As we mentioned, a push toy is a great option for a 9-month-old who has learned how to walk, so the VTech Sit-to-Stand walker is our top pick.
If you didn’t already get one of these for baby’s earlier stages (they can use it when they learn to sit up and play in front of it), you’ll definitely want it as they begin walking. Once they’re done pushing, it’s play time!
They can plop down in front of the walker and sing along with over 70 songs, listen to the various sounds and phrases it plays, not to mention play the piano!
There are buttons they can push, phone calls they can make and many ways for them to interact and learn with this handy toy.
A must-have for any 9-month-old!
For those times when baby is strapped in a stroller, car seat or shopping cart, you need a toy that won’t fall on the floor every five seconds but that keeps baby entertained.
Firefly Freddie to the rescue!
This is a great toy for a variety of baby’s growth stages, and you’ll probably need a toy like this for at least the first two years of their life.
Parents rave about Freddie and his ability to win over the hard-to-please baby. There are rings that they can gum as they teeth, knots that the can chew on, a mirror to look in and a squeaker they can squeak.
When you’re on the go, be sure to pack Freddie along. Your baby won’t be content without him!
Is this better than a Mac laptop? To baby it is!
Help them learn shapes by interacting with the buttons. Baby can press the shapes and the corresponding shape will light up on the laptop screen as well as audibly tell them the name of the shape.
You can change the mode so that the shapes they press also tell them the names of the common objects (in place of the shape names) or common phrases that will help familiarize them with.
You’ll also find a few phones on our list above, so be sure to check them out if you’d like to give baby the full technology immersion!